Wednesday 3 September 2014

The Wurzels

So I know I'm about 48 years too late however the phrase 'better late than never' comes to mind... Any-who, I was recently having a family dinner at my parents house when we decided to have some music on. In our house it's always the fight over the music we want, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Miles Kane and many more, although this time we decided to let my dad choose... And I'm sure glad he did because if he hadn't I never would have found out about The Wurzels. 

The Wurzels- Originally named Adge Cutler and the Wurzels- are a British Scrumpy and Western Band, now you may be thinking 'hmmm what does scrumpy mean?' well for those who aren't in the know (like I was until a few weeks ago) it refers to humorous music from England's West Country. The name was also taken from the title of the 1967 EP 'Scrumpy & Western' by Adge Cutler and The Wurzels (a.k.a The Wurzels), where it refers to a strongly alcoholic cider produced in the West Country 'Scrumpy'. 

So with these comical folk-type songs you might be thinking that it's a little bit too out of your comfort zone but seriously give them a listen, you will be pleasantly surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2CF8HHbWdo

See what I mean? If not you clearly didn't watch the link above so go and do so and you will see what I mean.

So now you have listened to it and you see what I mean, you should now understand why I have written this blog. I am aiming it mainly on the albums 'Never Mind the Bullocks Ere's the Wurzels' and 'A Load More Bullocks' simply because they are brilliant adaptations of brilliant songs featuring such artists as; Oasis, Robbie Williams, Travis and many more.

When I first listened to them I thought they was brilliant, I for one can't stop listening to it, however if you are trying to muster up the courage then think of Weird Al Yankovic crossed with Richard Cheese with a twang of a West Country accent and you have the brilliant Wurzels.

To start the album you have 'Ooh-Aah Just a Little Bit' seriously put on a farmers accent when sashing the name and you can see exactly what type of music it is. This album is fun from the start and just gets better as you go on through. My personal favourite has to be their cover of Blur's 'Country House' it starts off slow (like in the real song by blur) however after the first line or so we get to the chorus and we have a ball. 

I have never been so drawn to an album/albums like I was with these ones, they are enjoyable, funny and great to listen to. As I like to say these songs you can listen to and dance around as if no one is watching.

So if you're stuck for something to do this weekend or if you can't sleep (because you're so very curious about the Wurzels) then I would highly suggest you go and find them on YouTube, spotify or even go to Amazon and buy their albums... It's a good price for them, even if it's just for a laugh.

If you have any suggestions on what my next post should be then don't be afraid to contact me below or even on twitter! (reach me on twitter by searching @LHutchon ) 

Moustacheyousomething.

No comments:

Post a Comment